Thursday, January 7, 2010

When my Life Changed...

Not too long ago, I had a different family.  If I could talk I could tell my current humans what my life was like, but since I can't they have to just use their imaginations.  It's kind of fun to hear their theories.

The facts they have is that I was picked up by Animal Control in a residential neighborhood just before Halloween.  I had a "hunting" collar on, which means it was an orange, plastic band, and no identification.  I was under weight by at least 10 pounds and was not neutered.  The shelter is required to hold me for 10 days before I can become adoptable.  No one came to claim me. 

Then the local newspaper ran an article about the shelter trying to match senior dogs with senior citizens.  Listen up!  Just because I'm six doesn't mean there is anything senior about me!  The truth of the matter is though, people come to a local shelter to adopt puppies...not older dogs.  I guess they might figure we are bad apples.  Well, lucky for me my picture was in the paper with that article and my new family saw that photo.  To read Hootie's account click here:  Hootie playing Rumpelstiltskin

Officially on November 19th I was adopted by this new clan.  They have a 17 year old boy, a 15 year old girl, two cats (one psycho and one fat...well, actually they are both fat), a hamster, fish, anoles and hermit crabs.  Oh, and the husband and wife, Hootie and her DH.  

Hootie and DH take the most care of me.  Hootie does almost all the week day and daylight walking and DH takes me on awesome night hikes before bed.  

I am pampered and this group keeps saying I am retired.  Whatever!  I like the heated bed at night and the table scraps here.  The belly rubs are pretty nice, too.  

Since I was adopted just before Thanksgiving and was not really a planned adoption, the clan took me on my first adventure just days after they had me.  I went to the beach with them!  You'll have to read about that in my next posting though.  

Nap time!!!  ~W

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say on this subject? Thanks for sharing!